Wednesday, June 26, 2013

音樂家養活音樂?

唐崇榮博士: “從前是音樂養活音樂家;如今是音樂家養活音樂。“ This is a fallacy that nurtures the pride of the musician. Musicians do not raise music, the audience does. Let me ask a question, who and what is supporting the musicians? I believe Tong is talking about classical musicians which he deems as the only God honored music. (I will suffer attacks from his fans and his groupies by writing this. That is ok. Most musicians are divisive anyways.) If musicians do not educate and nurture the general public to appreciate their "Godly" music, they will be heading toward extinction. Classical musicians toot their arrogance and demand extremely large salaries and do not care if their music is understood or not. Opera houses declare bankruptcy every year to beg for support from the rich, majority of whom do not understand classical art music. To them, it is a show off to attend an opera event in limousines and furs. I am a classical musician and directs 8 concerts at college level every year, great majority are operatic, bel canto, type of music. I worked very hard to supply local and international music academies with students with which they filter out less gifted ones and milk the good ones for money and fame while the filtered out musician suffers from inferiority complexes and live in poverty. Some fortunate musicians do it right, for example Yo Yo Ma, and Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim. Musicians do not raise music, the audience does. We should spend money on developing music education instead of giving it all to the superstars. How about asking Hollywood for advice and hiring market experts to start creating soulful needs in the society for our beloved art music? Is this asking the proud, high and mighty classical musicians to stoop too low? When I "stoop low" to do popular music in order to reach the general populace, my ignorant friends who loves classical art music put me down, even publicly sometimes. I am a classically trained musician. Why am I negatively criticized when I reach more people with music and become a living testimony for art music? For further serious reading: http://www.seeclearly-jlaw.blogspot.com/2010/07/blog-post_31.html http://www.seeclearly-jlaw.blogspot.com/2010/07/blog-post_6333.html

No comments:

Post a Comment